- Only 26 more days until Spring. I am so looking forward to days where it doesn't take us 15 minutes to get out the door - no coats, boots, hats, mittens needed. I can not wait for warm sunshine and a nice breeze blowing through the open windows.
- Only 15 more days until my birthday!
- I can not believe that Cain had one day of school this week! We recently found out that Cain's teacher is leaving at the end of the month :( We are super sad about this because we really like her. I am nervous for what is going to happen next in his class. As far as I know there isn't a new teacher in place yet and Cain doesn't always do well with change so I am praying it is a smooth transition for him.
- Also along the lines of school - kindergarten registration is in the works around here which has me completely freaked out. I am not ready for it. I am not ready for Cain to be gone all day long five days a week. Then there is the whole thing of where to actually send him. It is mind boggling how many different schools there are and what ones are good/bad - it's kind of exhausting. When I went to elementary school you just went to the school you lived closest to, not the case anymore.
- I had to go get my drivers license renewed today - insert eye roll here - I hate going to the secretary of state. Everyone who works there is so unpleasant. I had to get a new picture taken - let's discuss this really quickly. They should let you see yourself on the flippin' screen before they take the picture. It is a very windy day today so my hair was blowing all over the place on my way into the office - I tried smoothing it out but after my picture was taken (the two seconds they let you see it) I realized one giant piece of hair was all wacky and weird. And yes I am that vein I suppose because I just want to look nice in my picture! I had weird hair and a weird not ready smile/look on my face.
We had a great Valentine's Day. It started out with pink heart shaped pancakes and fruit for breakfast. Also the kid's little Valentines from me and the ones they got in the mail from grandma and grandpa were were out and ready for them when they woke up. I received a package in the mail from the mister of yummy chocolate covered strawberries :)
Cain did not have school this Friday so we ended up going over to Bonnie's daycare party and the kids handed out their Valentines to their friends and enjoyed lunch and cupcakes. After that we made a stop at Chris' office and Cain of course had Valentines for the guys there. He absolutely loves going to Chris' work and the guys there are always so kind to the kids. He usually talks about it for the rest of the day. On our way home we got a much needed oil change then relaxed the rest of the day at home. It was a nice day and I find that I love Valentine's Day even more then before now that the kids really get into it :)
We had a good weekend - we were finally able to go up North and see our family. We hadn't been able to go up sense before Christmas. The unfortunate part of the weekend was that the kids and I all got colds :(
We celebrated Jackie's birthday on Saturday - the grandkids released balloons with messages on them. It was just a simple way to remember her. We all got together and had lunch and for dessert we had cake.
The rest of the weekend we just spent time hanging out with family. Eating - a lot of eating was done actually. It was nice and relaxing. Now I just have to get rid of these darn colds.
I don't need to be reminded that Saturday would have been Jackie's birthday. It makes me sad every time I see the stupid thing pop up on Facebook. I can't believe it's been 4.5 months sense she's been gone. Some days I feel like she's still going to be there when we go up north - or that I can call her and tell her about our day. And other days it feels like she's been gone forever. I know that makes no sense at all. Grieving is weird. And it's hard. And it sucks. I miss her.
My kids are really good eaters but as Cain gets older he has lost the urge to try new foods. We have a book about being a picky eater and not trying new foods so we read that together the other day and I made a point to really drive home the idea of trying new foods. It worked because Cain was game for making a list of foods - we had three categories: foods he loves, foods he dislikes, and foods he should try again to see where they would go on our list. Then we got a few foods that we already had around the house and gathered them up for a taste test...
I think this one was hummus on a chip - verdict was good on this one.
Spoiler alert is was the only one that made it to the "like" section of our list.
Before this he didn't think he liked hummus.
baby carrots - up until now he wouldn't even really try them.
He took a big bite out of it, chewed up, swallowed it, and said no I don't like it.
I think we will try this one again in the near future.
blueberries - he has liked blueberries his whole life.
Up until a few months ago he loved them.
All of a sudden he tried telling me he didn't like blueberries anymore.
I put them on here just to remind him that yes he does like them.
avocado - this was the worst for him.
Carly loves just plain cut up avocado and Cain did too when he was small.
I just wanted to try it but he spit it out.
cherry tomato - he still isn't a fan.
lettuce with ranch - he tries salad every now and then and
I just keep offering it to him in hopes that he will like it one day.
I am just so proud of him for trying new foods. He does better then me with that.
I just don't want him to end up a "picky eater" - like his mother...ssshhh don't tell him.