Monday, July 8, 2013

Kid Foods

So while you are reading this post I'm most likely enjoying the day at Michigan Adventure with my family. I wanted to post today about foods my kids eat because as a stay at home mom, or every mom for that matter, I feel like sometimes I've run out of things to feed my family. My kids are not super picky eaters - thank goodness. Here is a little list of things my kids eat or some regular things in our kitchen. Please feel free to share with me your kids favorites. Also some things one kid will eat and the other won't. Our family doesn't eat a lot of meat, which you will see from my list. I am not a good cook, like at all so these are all simple things that don't take a lot of time. We try and buy mostly organic but not every single item.

So lets start with breakfast - I always try to give them a "main" thing, fruit, and yogurt or at least two or three items for breakfast. They are hungry when they wake up.
-oatmeal with fruit
-whole grain waffles (Cain likes honey on it, I just butter Carly's)
-plain yogurt
-fresh fruit (favorites: strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, grapes, melon, bananas, peaches, oranges)
-cereal (cheerios or gorilla munch seem to be the favorites)
-toast, bagels, english muffins
-scrambled eggs (Carly will only eat hers with salsa)
-pancakes

Lunch Ideas - we do simple lunches around here. Again they usually get three items for lunch.
-avocado (Carly just likes plain cut up chunks)
-sweet potato fries (sweet potato sliced, covered in olive oil and cinnamon, and then baked)
-fresh fruit
-cheesy roll ups (tortillas with melted cheese)
-rice cakes with peanut butter
-sometimes a peanut butter sandwich for Cain but not to often
-soup (chicken noodle or veggie are their favorites)
-make our own "lunchables" with crackers, cheese, veggies, fruit, etc.
- cottage cheese

Dinner Ideas - again like every other meal we do a "main" item, a veggie, and a fruit.
-so any lunch idea can be used for dinner as well
-veggies my kids eat with lunch or dinner: peas, carrots, broccoli, green beans, and chard are the most often eaten in our house.
-fish sticks or baked fish
-cheese ravioli or spaghetti
-mac and cheese (I get organic not Kraft)
-make your own pizzas
-neither of my children like mashed potatoes :(  but they will eat fried potatoes that are cut into cubes.
-they both like sauteed mushrooms
-baked chicken

Snacks - I try throughout the day to make snacks things like fruit, cheese or yogurt but we do regular old snacks too.
-pretzels with peanut butter
-Wheat Thins
-Cain calls them "snack peas" they are the long crunchy pea snacks from trader joes
-Pirate Booty
-Goldfish or the organic equivalent
-cheerios for Carly or "puffs"
-dried fruit

That's all I can really think of right now. I know something else will pop into my mind later. Also Cain loves him some "nugs" from McDonalds so I'm not trying to be all holier then thou. He will have a happy meal every now and then. Even when I eat shitty during the day I always make sure my kids have healthy foods/meals. So now it's your turn - share yours or your kids favorite things :)

2 comments:

  1. Ahh food... my kids eat a TON of it! And they will pretty much eat anything you put in front of them... I guess that's pretty lucky.
    I like you try to give them a 'main' thing for dinner, usually ours is based around a meat though.. they love beef and noodles, steak, hamburgers, fajitas, tacos... etc. I feel like I am constantly buying fruits and vegetables which is one reason I do love summer... FARMERS MARKET :)
    James wont eat bacon (which is probably a good thing) and I haven't found anything yet that Ry wont eat... she is very good at trying new things and always ends up liking them. Snacks are hard because the bigger they get the more they know about different foods. But I am a firm believer if you don't buy it they cant eat it. They obviously get cookies, popcicles and chips but we always add some grapes, apples or melon to the plate too. They are really getting into the make your own lunch thing. Today james made pizza in the sandwich maker & Rylee had ravioli and fruit salad... so left to their own devices they do make pretty good choices! Tonight for dinner is chicken fajitas with lots of fresh peppers and a local made seasoning from the farmers market and whole wheat tortillas! I try, I really do, lol

    ReplyDelete