Monday, April 5, 2010

Chris and I are pretty....

good with our finances for the most part. We don't go out and purchase large items that we can not afford. We don't have tens of thousands of dollars in debt. It happens to be the little every day things that suck up our money - grab a soda here, out to eat for lunch here, dinner with friends here, super cute baby clothes that I can't resist here, and it all adds up.
Most people are not comfortable talking about finances - it's a personal thing and I get that but I'm really looking for some help here. I've been spending a lot of time researching budgets. I really want to get our act together. I do like the Dave Ramsey seven step method that we found a couple of years ago. That's just the thing though for us we get all gung - ho for a few weeks and then slip right back into our regular routine. We make out budgets all the time and stick to them until I go into Target (which is my weakness). Or until someone dangles food in front of my husband's face - he loves him some Taco bell. I also like this new blog that I recently found.
Adding a baby to the mix isn't necessarily a recipe for disaster. We don't go overboard with baby stuff for the most part. We get him his necessities - diapers, food, etc. and the grandparents usually pick up the slack in toy department (he's a first grandchild on one side what can I say). I get used baby clothes a lot because I can't imagine spending that much money on something he will wear for a month.
It just feels that we can't get ahead. When we really start to see a positive difference something happens - the car breaks down, unforeseen dentist or doctors bills, the dryer breaks, etc. and any extra money we have accumulated gets used.
I've recently become a coupon cutter in my attempts to save money. I'm not like a crazy coupon cutter that tracks ten stores and goes to all the different stores for different items or anything like that but if I see a coupon for something that we normally get I use it.  We canceled our cable awhile back because we weren't really watching tv and when we do want to watch something we use hulu or netflix. We use skype and our cell phones as primary phones.
So people please give me your advice, your saving money solutions, things that actually work for you. I'd love to hear what you've got :)

4 comments:

  1. I swear you say excactly what I am thinking sometimes! I have been doing the coupon thing as well and trying to save money! DID NOT CANCEL CABLE THOUGH...LOL! We only have cell phones. We have been doing really bad lately with eating out though :( Baby clothes is my weakness!! I just can't help myself. I have a little money saved but like you said something always happens. Sorry I don't have any advise but wanted to let you know you are not alone. I think if you stay home and don't do anything is how you save money..lol! We are saving to try to move so I hope someone can give you advise for me too use too. Good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy our big thing is going out to eat too...it just always happens. It's so easy to grab something on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree eating out is our biggest downfall! But the one thing I do is I always have $20 taken right out of my paycheck and put into savings. It doesn't seem like much but it adds up and if you both did it that would be $80 a month (if you get paid bi-weekly). Most banks will do all the work for you if you have direct deposit. Because my thing is if I don't see it it's like it never exsisted :) And its nice to see the savings add up month after month and I don't even have to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A savings account is a very good idea just set it up so that it needs two signatures. So that way if you are by yourself you can not get to it and vice versa. You both need to sign to get it out. But make a pact that neither of you will get into it. How often are the both of you's are together when the bank is open? Do not get an ATM card for the savings acct. Good Luck. Also, what ever money you save with your coupons you take that amount and deposit it into the savings acct. If you give up something take that amount you will be saving and put that into the savings acct. example: when Cain is out of diapers take that money that you will be saving and put it into the savings acct. it will add up.

    ReplyDelete