Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Graphic gross details - read with caution...

Please do not continue to read this if you are grossed out easily or you do not want to hear about in depth baby poop - fair warning...

Anyway ever sense little bird was a little tiny baby he had some pooping problems. He got constipated pretty easily and was only ingesting breast milk. We took him to the pediatrician because as a new mommy I was freaking out. They gave us all the "normal" advice - try prune juice, warm bath, massage the tummy, do the bicycle with his legs, rub his anus. We tried everything with no real solution. He would start pooping ok for couple days and we would think he had gotten over it and the next week same thing. He is 7 months old and we are still dealing with this issue. I am soooo very frustrated I could scream! We took him to our homeopathic doctor who has him on Beta TCP and that seemed to really help at first. We are now back to the same thing.

What happens is our poor little guy will have very hard "poops" as I now refer to his baby shit. I have to help him to get it out - he will be pushing until his little face is so red and tears are streaming down. As a Mother you do anything possible to make your little guy feel better. I have to stimulate his anus, I have to pull the clay like "poops" out of his little butt, I've had to practically dig it out with a Q-tip, I've done glycerin suppositories. I sit there with him and cry as he cries and pushes to get it out.

After it starts coming out then usually the rest is softer and just comes out with ease. Other times like this evening it was clay like the entire way through. He had been pushing all afternoon with nothing coming out - so I knew it was going to be bad. I then had to stimulate his little anus and some started to come out. It was so hard and large he couldn't even push it through. I had to help pull it out. Then after this extremely large piece of clay like "poops" came out (I mean stuff you wouldn't think could come out of this tiny little guy) I had to do a suppository to help the rest come out. It worked pretty much instantly and he was pushing and screaming to get it to come out. I don't want him to start relying on this to get him to go. I want him to be able to do it on his own.

I would think that perhaps starting baby food would be the cause but the truth is that it was going on before we even started him on foods. Now I am careful and watch what he eats so he doesn't get worse. I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like I've run out of ideas. I feel like the doctors don't know what to do either and they just keep telling me the same things. I feel like my heart is breaking every time my little man has to go through this.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or have gone through this also. I need some help!

4 comments:

  1. I have a little boy who had the same problem. Every time I would take him to the doctor for a regular check up he would tell me that this is fairly normal and that he could actually have a suppository everyday and not become addicted to them or anything. Instead of doing every day I did about every 3 days, this way his poop wouldn't be so hard that I would have to do the exact same thing you have been doing.

    The doctor also told us to try Metamucil (about a teaspoon) mixed in with his cereal or some of the more runny baby food every other day and that would help him go as well... That's what really worked for us. He is now 15 months old and goes almost everyday with no problem.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much - it helps to know you aren't the only person in the world with this issue :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also heard of the Metamucil in the baby food! It is orange and fruity so it mixes well with the fruits for the day =o)
    Also vaseline on his rectum will help the poop come out easier! I'm sorry to hear the little guy is having trouble again... I'm sure his mommy will figure something out for him =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How has the pooping problem been? Were you able to try any of the suggestions? I hope something worked for him so he, and you, won't be so miserable.

    ReplyDelete